Thursday 24 May 2012

What's Beef?...


In light of Pusha T's new track Exodus 23-1 which subliminally takes swipes at  Drizzy Drake. Was met with particular grievances by none other than Drakes big brother Lil' Wayne; who bluntly tweeted "Fuk pusha t and anybody that love em". Made me remember what the foundations of Hip-Hop are about. If you're like me and are an avid fan, you would know that at it's heights (the 90's), most rappers were competing against each other, trying to land the ever so prestigious title of "Greatest Rapper Alive". However, we now live in an era whereby all rappers work together and seek to create comradery.




Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad and saying that rappers shouldn't be mates and should go crazy and kill each other. What I'm trying to say is modern Hip-Hop lacks competition- competition allows rappers to express their ability under pressure and cement their claim of being the best, by dispelling their rivals. But now, most rappers especially the ones who have blown recently, such as Meek Mill and 2 Chainz are on the constant search to work with other rappers from all walks of the park, which in my eyes is; as the Americans would say,  is 'soft'.

There was a time where rappers only collaborated with people within their factions or 'coasts' and featuring with other rappers outside of these concentric circles was deemed out of the ordinary. And, rappers wanted to prove themselves and others, that they were the best and by doing this, they would take swipes at other rappers, like the famous Jay-Z vs Nas beef or 50 Cent vs Ja Rule. These rappers were 'beefing' to prove to everyone that they're the 'dopest' MC and rightly so. 

My point in writing this blog, is that it seems rappers are no longer out there to be or want to be the best, they merely see it as a means to make money. Well of course "everybody's gotta eat", but this logic is ruining the culture of Hip Hop and in turn ruining the music. I mean, call me a hopeless Hip-Hop romantic but I want Lil' Wayne to throw some jabs back at Pusha T and for Pusha T to throw his own back too - because that's what rapping's about right? Competitiveness!? I dunno,  maybe I'm stuck in the wrong decade or something *goes and watches Kenan and Kel*.

Disclaimer: Please note that I am not promoting beef in Hip-Hop to the extent where death is an option. I love the culture and merely just want a bit of excitement and healthy competition. Death is not cool, we all know what happened to the two greats - The Notorious B.I.G and 2Pac.

Gezza...

No comments:

Post a Comment